Sunday, May 15, 2011

My Little Tucker

Yesterday as Brad was getting the stroller out of the car, two little tools fell out and we knew that they were from Harbor Frieght. Oh my heck, all we could think was that our 6 year old son had his first encounter with shoplifting! Brad went in and talked to Tucker and told him that we do not take things from stores without paying for them and that he had to take the two tools back and apologize. As we were driving to Harbor Frieght, Tucker told us, "I am a little shy to take those back." Brad and I lectured him about right choices and after a long 15 min. conversation, Brad asked Tucker how in the world he got them out of the store. The converstation went like this..
"Tucker did you put them in your pocket?"
"No."
"Well then how did you carry them out of the store?"
"I didnt dad, I put them in the cart."
Brad and I looked at eachother because we didnt have a cart that day, I was pushing Remi and Bry in the stroller. Then it dawned on us...Tucker put the tools in the stroller, just like he does all the time at Walmart in the shopping cart, and we either see it and put it back, or we pay for it. We realized that in all reality, Tucker didnt really shoplift, he just put what he wanted in the "cart" and didnt tell us. Geez!! So, we felt better about the fact that Tucker hadnt really made a bad choice in stealing. We took the tools back and the manager told us that it was nice to see honest people around who would bring in a .99 cent clipper set and a .50 cent screwdriver. We have to teach our children honesty. I mean in the begining we are responsible for teaching them right from wrong, I hope that Brad and I are doing a good job! I am thankful that my parents taught me so well, and that Brad's parents taught him as well. I always praise my sweet children, but for once I have to give Brad a pat on the back for handling the situation and showing Tucker that even if we make a mistake, we have to make it right, even if it was an accident!

No comments: