Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Dear Bompa...


Dear Bompa,

It has been a year today since you my Bompa passed away. It still seems so unreal. It is hard to take in the fact that this was out of the blue and no one even knew it was coming. You called me Red...it has been a name that has stuck with me even now. I still remember the call...Shayla was hysterical and I could not even understand what she was saying, all I knew what that you had been found on your farm (his second love besides his family) and Dad, Mom, Quint and Shay were driving to Price. No one knew any more details than that so I called the hospital in Price. A nurse answered and I asked if I could talk to Gloria Winder....there was a silence and she told me to hang on and she would have someon from the family call me back. Not a minute later Uncle Scott called, I asked him what was going on and he calmly said to me, "Evert passed away this evening..."I remember the life being sucked right out of me and then the tears would not stop. I asked him what happened and he told me that you had been found by your tractor, with your tool still in hand, and you were already gone when found. We still do not know if it was a heart attack or an anurism and frankly it doesnt really matter because all that matters now is that you are gone. I miss you more than words can say. I think about you every day. I know that you are in heaven teaching so many. I am thankful to know that you watch over me and my family every single day, and you are really not that far away.


My Bompa taught me how to ride, oh how I loved riding horses. He taught me how not to be scared and take control. I loved spring and fall when we would herd the cattle on and off the mountian. Bompa never ceased to teach you something whenever you were around him. He was a man who stood very tall. He was honest, you knew when he gave you his word it was better than a signature. He took pride in his family and home. He adored my Nani, they were each others solemates. He worked very hard all the time, he taught me how to fence, how to brand cattle, and all sorts of other things. He taught me that he had a passion for Christ and lived to his teachings every single day. Bompa never wanted to fight or stir the pot, he just wanted peace and love among his family and friends. The first time that Bompa saw Tucker he said "Aw, this is my little Tuffy." It breaks my heart that he was not able to meet Bryken here on this earth but I know without a shadow of a doubt that he was right there in heaven walking with him and teaching him many important lessons before he made his journey to earth. I know that he wrapped his arms around him and kissed him good bye. I also know that when Trace met him in May he was there with open arms, ready to teach him as well.


There is a song that describes in so well. It is called "Heaven Was Needing a Hero" by Jodi Messina...

I came by today to see you... Oh I had to let you know If I knew the last time that I held you was the last time I'd have held you, and never let go Oh, it's kept me awake nights, wondering I lie in the dark, just asking why I've always been told You won't be called home Until it's your time I guess heaven was needing a hero Somebody just like you Brave enough to stand up For what you believe And follow it through When I try to make it make sense in my mind The only conclusion I come to Is heaven was needing a hero Like you I remember the last time I saw you Oh, you held your head up proud I laughed inside When I saw how you were standing out in the crowd Your such a part of who I am Now that part will just be void No matter how much I need you now Heaven needed you more Cause heaven was needing a hero Somebody just like you Brave enough to stand up For what you believe And follow it through When I try to make it make sense in my mind The only conclusion I come to Is heaven was needing a hero Like you Is Heaven was needing a hero and that's you...


Rest in piece Bompa, please dont ever go too far away from me...

No comments: